I did not have a huge organized list of things to do this summer, no bucket lists to prevent boredom, 101 things to make this summer the best. All of the cleaning out and packing to move has me in a much more minimalist mood this year. Or I’m just pooped and completely over Pinterest. Whatever.
We headed out for the orthodontist this morning, so since we were all clean, dressed, and out of the house we decided to complete what I like to think of as the summer reading circuit. I have at least one child who is extrinsically motivated, so these programs are wonderful!
- local library – read aloud dates, parties, rewards for books read…FREE! Love it! Mom’s Favorite for sure.
- Barnes and Noble Summer Reading Triathlon – the kids complete a journal about their reading, return it to the store and get to choose a FREE featured book. The journal is not bad…answer 3 out of 4 questions. Thank you!!!
- Half Price Books Feed Your Brain Summer Reading Program – my children’s favorite = they read 300 minutes, they get a store credit. HPB trips are a major motivator at my house.
We rewarded our stellar bookstore/library behavior with some lunch and play (thanks to the Chick-Fil-A calendar card) and headed home. What a great start for a “rainstorm looming just to the west” kind of day.
If you have a favorite summer reading rewards program, please – leave it in the comments below!
If you NEED a list
- Take kids to eat at Chick-Fil-A. Let them play in the play area.
- join summer reading program
- go on a library trip
P.S. I am totally in the wrong field. I found my old retainers…for $100, the doctor will look at them and develop a plan. I’m a mom. I plan all the time. No one has ever paid me $100 for my plan. I do like teeth…just saying.